Friday, January 11, 2008

Bridesmaid Mania - What's The Point?

Over the years, I think I have been a bridesmaid in approximately 8 weddings. Yes we went all out... dresses, shoes, jewelry, special hairstyles, nail appointments... the works. In addition, to being the bridesmaid, I assisted with the planning and possibly paid a portion of the bridal shower, not to mention the fact that I purchased bridal shower and possibly bachelorette party gifts.

Practically speaking, of the 8 weddings to wit I was delegated bridesmaid responsibilities - 6 couples divorced, 1 couple cancelled the wedding one month prior to the scheduled nuptial date (yes the dress and all alterations had been paid for), and 1 couple will celebrate their 12th wedding anniversary in 2008.

According to Conde Nast Bridal Media's "American Wedding Study" 2006 statistics reflect:


  • Brides have an average of 5 bridesmaids in their wedding.

  • Based on 2.2 million weddings per year, there are approximately 11 million bridesmaids each year.

  • There are 44,230 weddings every weekend, 23 million bridesmaids and groomsmen, and almost 380 million wedding guests.

  • 64% of brides have their bridesmaids dress identically.

  • Bridesmaid's dresses cost an average of $691 total, figuring to be $138 each with the average of 5 attendants.

Based upon my experience, I ask...where did this tradition begin and is the expensive, time consuming ritual worth continuing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more bridesmaids... the more people that bridezilla has to order around!

njm said...

So true...one of the weddings in which I was in had 22 bridesmaids and 22 groomsmen. I was one of the 22.

I still can't figure that one out!

Anonymous said...

Regarding your question: zazzle vs. cafepress, my partner handles that decision.

Her answer, put succinctly, is, "Because I'm a design retard and I can never get a design to work on cafepress."

Maybe you two can get together and see what the issue is. I wouldn't know which one is best. ;-)