Practically speaking, of the 8 weddings to wit I was delegated bridesmaid responsibilities - 6 couples divorced, 1 couple cancelled the wedding one month prior to the scheduled nuptial date (yes the dress and all alterations had been paid for), and 1 couple will celebrate their 12th wedding anniversary in 2008.
According to Conde Nast Bridal Media's "American Wedding Study" 2006 statistics reflect:
- Brides have an average of 5 bridesmaids in their wedding.
- Based on 2.2 million weddings per year, there are approximately 11 million bridesmaids each year.
- There are 44,230 weddings every weekend, 23 million bridesmaids and groomsmen, and almost 380 million wedding guests.
- 64% of brides have their bridesmaids dress identically.
- Bridesmaid's dresses cost an average of $691 total, figuring to be $138 each with the average of 5 attendants.
Based upon my experience, I ask...where did this tradition begin and is the expensive, time consuming ritual worth continuing?